October 20, 2009

Flight to Freedom

I was invited to teach women inmates at the BJMP Naga City sometime back. In fact, it was way way back that I thought it would not push through. At first I was a bit apprehensive as I have never been inside an institution like this and have not even considered in my wildest dreams to make even a visit. But I said yes. After that, I was so touched and reproached myself for even being hesitant.

Meanwhile that I have not gotten the confirmation call, life went on and as fate would have it, I visited a close friend and classmate during his short stay at the local cell in Iriga City. That was my first experience of what a prison looked like, what it feels to be inside and serve time. Not because of the visit, but because my friend described to me what it was they have to undergo serving time.


So I got the call two days before the scheduled event. It was part of the celebration of the Correctional Consciousness Week. I was kinda excited at the thought and was moved to do something about it. I prepared kits for the four inmates that would undergo the skills training and supplied them with the necessary tools and materials.

I arrived just in time when some male inmates were putting up the streamer and saw the poignant theme for the celebration: "Be an instrument of healing and reconciliation." That is me! I was shouting to myself. Of course nobody would hear that, but surely, my soul did, and my heart was moved to tears. I was choking back my emotions and showed a sunny persona instead. That is me, too! I am sunny personified.


The officers were also there, together with the inmates, they were mingling like what one would find outside the walls. Only, they are inside the walls. I started by telling them about F.A.R.M. I was somewhat disheartened that they seemed indifferent to my story.


It was much later on that I realized, they could not appreciate it, because they cannot see themselves being me. So I started teaching them, and as if robots, they would quietly comply.


During this time, I started asking them of how life was, inside, and sometimes, would drift to what life was outside. I felt they were starting to open up and started to crack jokes with me. And soon we were laughing together and I could see in their faces, that they were not only enjoying the activity as it was way out of their daily routine, also, I noticed that they were trusting me, with a feeble hope. As emo as I can ever be, I held back my tears and just laughed off words that they were needing to hear. I could not make them empty promises, but I did leave them some hope, and a simple promise that I would be back, for them.


Some words from them:

"Maam, sige na, padalhan mo naman kami ng magagawa namin, para may magagawa kami sa oras namin."



"Maam, kahit kaunti lang, sana may kikitain din kami, kahit dito na kami habang buhay."


Blog written by Bernadette de los Santos. The inmates and BJMP approved of posting their photos with this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment