September 1, 2009

A Simple F.A.R.M. Story that Inspires

You might be wondering whose skillful hands are threading the beautifully-patterned F.A.R.M. buttons together...


Meet Emily. She is one of the several workers who report to Villa Esperanza at 6 a.m. everyday and sometimes retire late at night to weave the buttons designed by Bidibidi. Like the others, she is paid by the piece. In a week, Emily makes P2,500-3,000 ($50-60) and averages P11,000 ($220) a month. Five months ago, she used to make a meager P2,500 ($50) per month from working as a helper. Working for F.A.R.M. did not only make her four times better off but it also changed her life in so many ways.

"Since I started working for F.A.R.M., my family's living conditions improved a lot. We now have our own power line installed. And I am now saving up for water-supply connection as well," Emily narrates. "We also used to sleep on the floor, now I acquired a 2,000-peso double-deck bed that some of my children share. And they now sleep more comfortably."


Emily said the first thing she did was to redeem the piece of land that she pawned to sustain her family's needs and her children's education. Emily has six children, most of them are still in school. "I inherited the lot from my parents. Now that it's back in our hands, we can continue farming and earn additional income from it."


"We are unhappy when Auntie Bidibidi goes to Manila or attends to other things because that would mean we don't have bracelets to work on," Emily shares. It is the very reason why Bidibidi refuses to leave her nook as much as possible. She works long hours not just to keep up with the demand but also to make sure that there are enough buttons for her workers to weave.


With the welfare of her workers in mind, Bidibidi says, "When I started making my F.A.R.M. bracelets, it used to be about keeping my mind off unproductive time, and exploring a medium of expression for the artist in me. Now, with my F.A.R.M. bracelets, I have formed a commitment. I have realized that I affect other people's lives and that commitment drives me to be more creative, more resourceful and more hardworking."

More than the financial benefit, F.A.R.M. has also taught the workers the value of working hard, the beauty in sharing and making friends with others, and the personal discipline that some of them have not learned elsewhere. Emily feels it is a wonderful experience to be working for F.A.R.M.

We tell you this to make you feel the worth of every F.A.R.M. bracelet that you buy. Every piece is woven with passion and utmost care. Every piece is a few pesos added to a person's livelihood. Every piece means skills developed, discipline instilled.


We are pleased that with your support, F.A.R.M. has given Emily and all the others a decent life. On behalf of the F.A.R.M. weavers, we thank you from the button of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment